Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ALEXA JOHNSTON: this is well overdue, I know.


Yeah, yeah, yeah.
I should have submitted this long ago and since the day she visited our class -which I can recall from my research pad was on the ...shit, I'll obtain the proper date soon enough- I have been telling myself once or twice everyday to submit this damn entry already. But like my shadow, my memory is gone with the darkness of new topic and arises again only the next day. And so on, and so forth.
At least I'm actually doing it now, right? Don't have your period everywhere.

___


At least I wrote some notes during Alexa's visit. I would have written my blog with her there, in the room, but the WIFI was AWOL and more unstable than an unsheltered horse. Here are the notes in question:

- Alexa is a biographer, and the proud author of several cookbooks including "What's For Pudding", "Ladies A Plate", and various other retro-styled books with delicious looking snacks and treats that made me feel like drinking, for some off reason. We flipped through some of them while she spoke, and the designs -which she organized and decided for- were uniquely attractive and almost antique in a way. I liked it, it was pretty; a lot more different to my own and my mother's cookbooks. But then again we are Filipinos and Lebs, who would rather store handwritten recipes in ordinary stationary bind books and cook from those. We're old fashioned like that, but so is Alexa. She put a lot of character into those recipe books; in a clever and authentic way. Beautiful! Seems like a lady's best friend almost.

- Alexa studied... *gulp* art history? Oh man, I have to hand it to her; that woman must have an extensively long attention span.

- During the conduction of her Sir Edmund Hillary biography, Alexa went through dozens of books, other biographies, articles and such that were based on him to gain a fair idea on how she would make her own book different to theirs, and with the ability to stand out individually. While researching alongside this, she interviewed family members and friends of Sir Edmund Hillary's, to extend her knowledge on his background and to obtain an idea of his general profile.

- Alexa apparently really loves Penguin publishers. I have to agree with her though, the logo is cool. More cute than cool... maybe cool with simplicity but cute in the subject matter preference. It has a cute round head and little pointy tablets for arms...anyway.

- To get a sense of his adventures and exhilarating experiences, Alexa went through -or so she claims!- 10,000 photo slides illustrating evidence of his travels and mountain-climbing. They were apparently those old fashioned photo slides that you have to hold up against the sun's body to see. We have some of those still, from the early 80s.

- There's a rude end note here, cursing myself for forgetting the question I was meant to ask Alexa. Mostly because it slipped - oh! I remember now. I was going to ask her if she had ever met Bette Midler but I doubt that highly now. It seemed possible at the time because she was so high-strung on all the people she'd met -well-known ones, too- but she would have never left out the Divine Miss M if she had the pleasure of acquainting her. NO ONE COULD FORGET HER IF THEY MET HER. NO ONE, YOU HEAR? BETTE MIDLER IS A REMARKABLE MULTI-TALENTED WOMAN WHO LIVES A LIFE MANY AUTOTUNED CELEBRITIES CAN ONLY THINK OF, AFTER THEIR FIVE MINUTES OF FAME ARE OVER AND THEY ARE LEFT WALLOWING IN SELF PITY.
Ahem.
Yeah... these are all the notes..
Awkward. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment