Thursday, October 4, 2012

performance poetry - WAKE UP


So,
ever since the beginning of the year started, I have been dreading performing my poetry.

Yesterday when Grace Taylor took our class for the first time and presented to us her first-ever performance poem, I think myself and the class began to loosen to the idea. We went around in a circle and introduced ourselves briefly; she seemed very interested and asked responsive questions to indicate her curiosity.

After that, she proceeded to show us some good poets on Youtube performing their pieces; then we discussed what was good and bad about each show. It was good to analyze different aspects of body language, voice tone, stance, and confidence. Grace is really cool, she has a very open and kickback attitude that allows the people around her to slip into a relaxed and humorous state. She's quite inspiring, too; for I wrote a poem I'd like to perform, during the lesson.

Grace also gave us tips on how we can boost our confidence and ways of performing in a style that suits us. She even suggested that Sonia and I do some artwork for the performance night which I'd be honoured to partake in, even better alongside my best friend.  Overall, I think it was a refreshing, constructive and very enjoyable lesson. It feels as though a huge burden of having to perform has been lifted, and all I have to look forward to is the excitement of presenting my thoughts on stage for eager ears. 






No comments:

Post a Comment